A Mindful Life is one that is lived with a greater sense of awareness and intention. When it comes to weight loss, it is a life that integrates the Five Areas of Weight Loss. The precise inter-relationship of these five areas is unique to our program.
The Five Areas of Weight Loss are:
1. The basic practice of mindfulness, i.e. nonjudgmental awareness of the present moment. Basic mindfulness entails taking a pause and tuning into the present moment. It is an increase in awareness and clarity. Mindfulness helps you to develop a greater awareness of your habits that have contributed to weight gain.
2. A healthy diet. We don’t endorse a specific diet. Rather, we recommend a healthy, balanced diet that avoids deprivation, quick weight loss, drugs, or fads.
3. Increased activity and movement. A Mindful Life does not require extreme exercise, but over time you will become less sedentary and more active. As you begin to live life with greater mindfulness, you can explore exercise that is organic and incremental to your life, and–most importantly– that you enjoy. And if you find that you simply don’t like to work out, it is still possible to add natural activity to your daily life in a way that works for you.
4. Relational Thinking. The Mindful Life program is based on systems theory i.e. seeing the whole picture rather than just the parts. Each part of our life stands in relationship to other parts, and that relationship impacts our weight loss. Additionally, when we include our family and friends in our weight loss goals we can become more accountable. Most importantly, when you become part of a supportive weight loss community, it becomes easier to achieve your goals.
5. Nature. We spend more time indoors than ever before. Many of us, especially children, spend our days moving from building to car to building. The glow of our screens has replaced the light of day. Our culture’s increased screen time and the disappearance of work/life balance plays a significant part in obesity. Spending as little as 15 minutes a day outdoors can help you to decrease stress and improve well-being.
A Mindful Life isn’t something that is created overnight, but is an evolving, dynamic process that involves all of these areas, not just diet and exercise. Weight loss—and maintenance of a healthy weight— is a natural result of a Mindful Life.